I sold this hammer in early March 2019 to Matt Harris.
Date Built: 1929
Ram Weight: 285#, including upper die.
The 3B is installed under a canopy about 40' from my shop (which is my attached double garage).
Installation: The frame is sitting on C channel risers and 3.75 inches of steel plate. There is an additional 2 inches of steel plate plus 2 inches of clear maple and belting under the anvil.
This hammer was not working when I brought it home (trailered with my GMC pickup). I fixed it, made the base, then moved it into place with my Bobcat, putting it together as I did. The canopy was built over it after it was installed.
Ram weight: 70 lbs
Date Built: 1947
Total weight (w/o base): 5000 lbs
This hammer has a tool steel frame.
When I brought this hammer home, it was broken and had been sitting outside for five years. Fortunately, the previous caretaker of it had stored it under a canopy and had taped a can over the exhaust tower. This kept water from getting into the interior.
It, in it's past had be run without dies in it. When someone does this with a Nazel, the upper part of the ram (which is a piston) will strike the lower ram guide. All eight bolts were snapped off. Instead of just replacing the bolts, someone welded the lower part of the ram guide (cast iron) to the upper part of the ram guide (steel ring). It was a terrible idea, but whoever the welder was, knows his business. Unfortunately, the person that had the welding done did not. He ran the hammer again and broke every weld. Large chunks of cast iron broke away at each weld point (the welds held just fine). At this time, the lower end of the ram guide fell down, letting the ram come down with it in a heap.
It sat that way for many years (I don't know how long before the caretaker I bought it from acquired it. He, nor the organization he belonged to had done the damage. They had bought the hammer from government surplus.
By the time I bought it, the ram and the broken ram guide around it had rusted terribly. The ram and ram guide looked like a big lump of rust. I had to soak the entire mess in place for a while before I could separate the ram from its guide, then remove the ram from above.
I derusted it all using the electrolyte method. It took weeks, but the pieces actually cleaned up pretty good. There was not deep pitting. Next, I had the chunks of cast iron turned off the ram guide. I drilled and tapped for new bolts between the original bolds and made a ring to cover the other damage.
I made new dies. The sow block dovetail were not properly oriented at the factory, so the dovetail on the bottom die has an unusual orientation the die surface.
The rest of the hammer (interior and bearings) turned out to be fine..
This is a very sweet 70 pound hammer...
Powermatic Drill Press
This is a "Great" industrial drill press. It is variable speed (set manually with a crank on the upper front). It has a 3-phase motor run off a 3-Phase rotary converter.
This mill is used to make tooling and dies. It has a 42 inch table and is totally manually operated.
This table is 30" by 60". This is the cleanest it has ever been. Usually it is covered with in-progress projects. I usually keep a sheet of steel on it so stuff doesn't fall through the holes.
This my "most used" forge. It's mounted on a pedestal so I can easily move it around. This is a Super C forge that allows full access from 3 sides. The end doors slide in "C" channel. The side slot has a table. It's doors can be removed to insert stock or projects from the side.